Executive Board: Tim Free Stephanie Pyrek Chris Umlauf Art Lichtman (Emeritus) Officers: Treasurer: Chris Umlauf Scribe: Art Lichtman Advisory Committee: Arnie Serotsky (chair), Ed Hartmann, Steve Effron, Clay Morrissey Website Assistance: Arnie Serotsky, Joe DiDonato Website: IWAGY.org
Tuscan Wines of Querciabella 6:30 PM, Tuesday, October 25, 2022 Farmers and Chefs – 40 Albany St. Poughkeepsie
They say that from small acorns grow mighty oaks. So is the story of Querciabella.
Querciabella, which means “beautiful oak,” is committed to creating extraordinary wines, without causing harm or disrupting the delicate balance of nature.
Please join us as we explore the Querciabella Tuscan portfolio, featuring a full array of white and red still wines. One of the evening’s featured wines will be Batar, reviewed as one of Italy’s most iconic white wines. Our tasting will also include Querciabella Riserva as well as Mongrana, a blend of Sangiovese, Cabernet and Merlot; and many others.
We are very happy to welcome back Sunny Gandara, who has spoken to IWAGY numerous times. Professionally trained through the Institute of Culinary Education, Sunny has been associated with Querciabella winery, which is 100% vegan, organic and biodynamic.
Sunny has a passion for both wine and food, and she especially enjoys sharing vegan cuisine with vegans and non-vegans alike. In addition to discussing climate change and the adaptations that wineries are making, Sunny will lead us through the wine tastings, accompanied by light food pairings. Food tastings will include an assortment of cheeses and breads with a sampling of Mediterranean specialties.
Date: Tuesday October 25, 2022 Time: 6:30PM Place: Farmers and Chefs 40 Albany Street, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601, Tel# (845) 337-4949 Deadline for reservations: Tuesday, October 18, 2022 Questions: Steve Effron firstname.lastname@example.org or 845-454-2884
Price: $ 55 (members) $60 (guests)
Parking: Farmers and Chefs has a parking lot diagonally across Albany Street from the Restaurant (corner with Dutchess Avenue). There is also on-street parking on Albany Street and Dutchess Avenue.
· Seating is limited to the first 40 reservations received. Sorry, but the space doesn’t allow for more. · Attendees are required to be fully COVID-19 vaccinated. · If you wish to sit with someone not listed on your reservation form, let us know, and we'll do our best to accommodate you (although we cannot guarantee your requests). You can just write “I/we would like to sit with ---“ and their names, on your reservation form. Maximum seating is 4 per table; some tables only seat 3.
A reservation form is attached here that can be printed separately.
Thanks to: Clay Morrissey for coordinating the September 13 tasting of the Languedoc wines of Paul Mas, and to Nick Macchi (Independence Wines) and Guillaume Virsolvy (Paul Mas Wines) for their excellent presentations.
Mark your Calendar: November 29 Members Choice wine tasting at Farmers & Chefs MHFWS: October Annual Meeting – Powelton Club - Newburgh event is in planning --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The Club cautions members and guests about drinking and driving. The amount of each wine poured is small, and meant to be swirled, sniffed, tasted and spit into the dump cup provided. Should you wish to swallow, arrange for a designated driver!
● Arnie Serotsky and Joe DiDonato have been working hard to update our website, IWAGY.org. Please check it out! We will try to keep all aspects of the website up-to-date, but will place special emphasis on the schedule of upcoming events.
● If you would like to pay our Club via financial transfer from your Hudson Valley Credit Union (“HVCU”) account, you can do so through our Treasurer, Chris Umlauf. Please contact Chris to find out the (simple) details of the procedure; payments for event reservations and membership may be made this way. Right now this process can only be used by those with HVCU accounts. Her receipt of a completed reservation form or membership renewal form will alert her that a transfer is in progress. Chris Umlauf’s contact info: email@example.com OR (845) 462-4287
● Our November 29 event will continue our tradition of having a “Member’s Choice” wine tasting. These are wine tastings in which 6-8 members each present a favorite wine in the “reasonable” price range. Past events like this have prompted many members to compliment the Club on the quality of the wines as well as the presentations. We have a tentatively full slate of presenters, but if you’d like to get on the back-up list, please let us know! Those who committed to present earlier will be contacted to confirm (by Arnie Serotsky).
● If you’d like to help the Club, we have a job for you! Art Lichtman is retiring as IWAGY Scribe after our last 2022 event (November). He has held the position since 1994! I want to thank Art for the great job he’s done over the years. But we need a replacement for him. Here’s a brief description of the Scribe’s duties:
Job: *Takes inputs from event coordinators and re-formats them into our agreed-upon “invitation” design. *Sends the draft to the Executive Board/Board of Directors for review. *Sends the invitation to membership list. [This is done every month for which there is an event scheduled.] *Helps the treasurer maintain the Club’s membership list and in the annual membership renewal process.
Position requirements: *Person with reasonably good computer skills *Must be punctual, cooperative, and organized *Must collaborate with multiple people *Participates in planning (specific events + annual calendar)
Please volunteer to take this important position in the Club! Inquiries to: Tim Free (firstname.lastname@example.org) Stephanie Pyrek (email@example.com) Chris Umlauf (firstname.lastname@example.org)
● Looking ahead to 2023 Zoom events (likely Jan & Feb 2023) Pinot Noir “International” (Arnie & Tim, likely March 2023)
After our November “Member’s Choice” tasting (or perhaps even before it) we will begin posting more of our 2023 event plans on the Club website. Please check it out!